LONGFORD (or LAGANFORD), Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2519
1891 R.G. 12 / 2751
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"LONGFORD is a village and township, in the same hundred as Brailsford, four miles S.W. from that village, 6 S. by E. from Ashbourn, and 11 W. from Derby. The country around here presents many agreeable prospects, and the ancient and spacious mansion of 'Longford Hall', with its pleasant grounds, the seat of Edward Cooke, Esq. are ornaments to the scenery. The church, which is dedicated to St. Chad, is of good dimensions, and of considerable antiquity: its architecture exhibits some portion of the Norman style, and in the chancel are three stone stalls. The parish contained, in 1831, 1,233 inhabitants, being less, by 31 persons, than were returned at the preceding census: the township of Longford contained, in 1821, 573, and in 1831, 536 inhabitants,"

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish of Longford contains the townships of Longford, Hollington and Rodsley. The village has its own website.

David STOWELL has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2009. Visitors should stop in at the hall and ask for a schedule of events.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Longford/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.