Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire
(Magna Britannia Vol. 5)
Longstone - by Daniel and Samuel Lysons, 1817
[Included with Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5: Derbyshire, page 23-41: BAKEWELL; page 40]
GREAT LONGESDON, or LONGSTONE, called in old ecclesiastical records Langedon, and in the survey of Domesday, Longesdune, lies about four miles from Bakewell. Great-Longstone is parcel of the manor of Ashford. The family of Wright have been possessed of the principal part of the landed property of this township, ever since the reign of Edward III. This estate, with Longstone-hall, is still the property of their descendant, John Thomas Wright, Esq., of Exeter. The hall is occupied by Major Carleil. The family of Rouland or Roland had a house and lands at Great Longesdon in the fourteenth century, which passed by marriage to the Staffords of Eyam. In the Rolls of Parliament, we find Godfrey Rouland, who styles himself " un pauvre & Simple Esquyer" praying " convenable et hasty remedy" against Sir Thomas Wendesley, John Dean vicar of Hope, and others, who are stated to have come to the petitioner's house at Longesdon with force and arms, to have carried off goods and stock to the value of 200 marks, to have taken the petitioner prisoner, and carried him to the castle of the High-Peak, where he was kept in custody six days, without victuals or drink; after which, they are stated to have cut off his right hand, and then to have released him. In 1282, the minister of Longstone chapel was supported jointly by the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield and the inhabitants. Rowland Eyre, Esq., in 1628 gave a rent charge of 1 pound per annum, to this chapel. The vicar of Bakewell appoints the minister. The sum of 5 pounds per annum for the education of 10 poor children in this chapelry, given by Wiliam Wright, Esq., in 1656, is payable out of the Longstone Hall estate. A school house was built by subscription. Under the inclusure act, common land of the value of 10 pounds per annum were allotted to this school. Holme-hall in the chapelry of Great Longstone was the property and residence of Mr. Bernard Wells, who died in 1653. One of his coheiresses brougt it to the Eyres of Highlow. After the death of John Archer, Esq., (whose father was by birth an Eyre) it was sold under an order of chancery in 1802, and purchased by Robert Birch, Esq., the present proprietor and occupier. The townships of Great and Little Longstone and Wardlow have been inclosed pursuant to an act of Parliament passed in 1810, by which allotment were given in lieu of tithes to the vicars of Bakewell and Hope. The manor of Little Longstone was held at the time of taking the Domesday survey by Colne under Henry de Ferrars. Robert Fitz-waltheof next occurs on record as Lord of Little Longsdon, but the exact date of his posessing it is not known. In the reign of Edward I, it was in the family of Monjoy, from whom it passed by inheritance to the Blounts. Sir Walter Blount, Lord Monjoye, died seised of it in 1474. The family of Edensor had a mesne manor held under the Monjoys, which manor appears to have devolved in 1403, to Thurston Boure, as heir to Isabel wife of Robert Staunton, and Agnes the wife of Nicholas Clerke. The manor of Little Longstone appears to have been afterwards in the Shakerleys, of whom it was purchased in the reign of Queen Elizabeth by the Countess of Shrewsbury. It is now by inheritance from the Countess, the property of the Duke of Devonshire The Countess of Shrewsbury's alms-house at Derby is endowed with a rent-charge of 100 pounds per annum, issuing out of this manor. Robert Fitz-waltheof at a very early period, gave lands in Little-Longstone to Matthew, parson of Bauquell, ancestor of James Longsdon, Esq., now of Little-Longsdon.Return to top of page [From Lysons Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817.
Transcription kindly donated by Barbarann AYARS, 10th Jan 2001 and 23 Aug 2001]