"MACKWORTH, a parish, with a small village, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, is situate on the road from Derby to Ashbourn, two miles and a half from the former, and ten and a half from the latter town. Here is a neat church, dedicated to All Saints, and in the neighbourhood, are the vestiges of a castle; the south gate of the edifice, which is entire, forms the entrance to a farm-house. The castle was the ancient seat of the De Mackworths, and was probably demolished during the parliamentary war. The parish (including the township of Mark-Eaton), contained, in the last census, 621 inhabitants."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
You can see pictures of Mackworth which are provided by:
There is a booklet written by Rosemary LUCAS, "The Manor of Markeaton, Mackworth and Allestree, 1650 - 1851", 84 pages, published by the author, available in local libraries. It is on local, not family history.
A school was built here in 1826 in Markeaton to serve both townships. The school was just for girls, but by 1857 served both sexes.
A school was built in Macworth in 1835 to serve both townships.
There is an article about Thomas RUSSEL and his School at Mackworth in the Derbyshire Family History Society Journal, Issue 74, September 1995, pp23-6, which includes not only an account of the school, but also a list of the pupils and staff recorded on 1841-71 censuses.