MACKWORTH, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"MACKWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 2½ miles N.W. of Derby, its post town, and from whence there is a railway transit by all the northern lines. It is situated on a tributary of the river Derwent, and includes the township of Markeaton. The lands are chiefly in pasture, and the surface is well wooded. Considerable quantities of cheese are made here. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £161. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, with a tower surmounted by an octagon spire. It has a memorial window containing effigies of the four evangelists. The parochial endowments realise about £45 per annum, a portion of which is for school purposes. There are schools for boys and girls. The only remains of Mackworth Castle, the seat of the De Mackworths, is an old gateway, the remainder having been demolished during the Parliamentary War. The property belongs to Lord Scarsdale, but William Munday, Esq., is lord of the manor. Thornhill is the principal residence." "MARKEATON, a township in the parish of Mackworth, hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 1¾ mile N.W. of Derby, its post town. It is situated on a branch of the river Derwent. It anciently belonged to the earls of Chester, and came through the Touchets to the Munday family. The Hall, which is the principal residence, is a brick mansion, situated in an extensive and well-wooded park. W. Mundy, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]