We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

MAPPERLEY, Derbyshire


  • The parish was in the Horsley sub-district of the Belper Registration District.

  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:

Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2508
1891 R.G. 12 / 2742

Church History

  • The Anglican ecclesiastical parish was formed on 22 July 1870 from the civil parish of Kirk Hallam.

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.

  • The church was built of stone in 1851.

  • Subsidence, caused by coal mining, caused the church to be closed in 1964. A new structure was built on a concrete "raft" and opened in 1966.

  • The church is on Mapperley Lane south of Main Street.

  • The church seats 200.

  • There is a photograph of the new church at The Peak District website.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1851.

  • The church was in the rural deanery of Ilkeston.

  • There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in the parish in 1912.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

  • The parish was in the Horsley sub-district of the Belper Registration District.

Description and Travel

"MAPPERLEY, a township in the parish of Kirk-Hallam, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 7 miles N.E. of Derby, its post town, and 2 N.W. of the Ilkeston railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Erewash canal. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the collieries. There is a Sunday-school with an endowment of £6 per annum, also a place of worship for the Wesleyans."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

The Mapperley Reservior and Mapperley Park are just north of the village.



Military History

  • In 1912, this parish was the partially owned by Captain William Drury DRURY-LOWE (ret.) of the Grenadier Guards. He would later die in World War I at the Somme in September, 1916.

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient Township in Kirk Hallam parish and was incorporated as a separate, modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.

  • This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).

  • You may contact the Mapperley Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist with family history searches.

  • District governance is provided by the Amber Valley Borough Council.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Smalley (Ilkeston Court) petty session hearings.

  • As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Belper Poorlaw Union.