Note: Spelling has changed over time from "Mappleton" to "Mapleton".
"MAPPLETON is a pleasant village in the parish of its name, in the hundred of Wirksworth, about a mile and three quarters N.W. from Ashbourn; situate in a valley on the banks of the Dove, which is here crossed by a stone bridge, having a remarkably flat arch. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is a small edifice of stone with a low square tower, surmounted by a dome: it is the mother church to that of Ashbourn, and the living is united to that parish, as before mentioned. [Ed: with Ashbourne] Here are neat alms-houses for three clergymen's widows, founded, in 1727, by Rowland Okeover Esq. The parish (which has no dependent township) contained, at the last census, 180 inhabitants, being an increase in 30 years, of only eighteen persons."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish lies 128 miles north of the City of London and is on the border of Staffordshire (across the River Dove).