MAPPLETON, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2522
1891 R.G. 12 / 2754
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"MAPPLETON is a pleasant village in the parish of its name, in the hundred of Wirksworth, about a mile and three quarters N.W. from Ashbourn; situate in a valley on the banks of the Dove, which is here crossed by a stone bridge, having a remarkably flat arch. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is a small edifice of stone with a low square tower, surmounted by a dome: it is the mother church to that of Ashbourn, and the living is united to that parish, as before mentioned. [Ed: with Ashbourne] Here are neat alms-houses for three clergymen's widows, founded, in 1727, by Rowland Okeover Esq. The parish (which has no dependent township) contained, at the last census, 180 inhabitants, being an increase in 30 years, of only eighteen persons."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish lies 128 miles north of the City of London and is on the border of Staffordshire (acroos the River Dove).

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Mappleton/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.