BERESFORD, Charles - The Bath At War. Ashridge Press/Country Books, 2007. ISBN 978-1-901214-91-8.
BOWER, Alan - "The Water Cure". Derbyshire Heritage Series, 1985. Published by J H Hall & Sons Ltd, Siddals Road, Derby. ISBN 0 946404 55 0.
A small, but very useful booklet containing a collection of postcards, focussing on hydropathic treatment at Hydros predominantly in Buxton and Matlock, but also has illustrations of the Hydros at Darley Dale (now St Elphin's School), Ashover, Baslow and Chesterfield. There is a brief introduction, describing the growth of the 'Water Cure' from Roman times through the Middle Ages and into the 1780's when "social life of a spa at this time was more important than the cure" through to the heady days of John Smedley, and his followers to its eventual demise with the advent of the National Health Service in 1948.
Quoting from its back cover: "This book is primarily a picture book about the Water Cure in Derbyshire. The picture postcard holds a wealth of information about our recent past and is an invaluable aid to any Historian. The postcards used to illustrate the Cure and Hydros date from 1904 to 1920 and aim to show what the life and treatment at a Hydro was like."
NAYLOR, Peter - A History of the Matlocks. Landmark, 2003. ISBN not available.
Images of England: Matlock and Matlock Bath. Tempus Publishing Limited, 2002. ISBN 0 7524 2455 6.
Glynn WAITE, The Matlock Cable Tramway.
St Giles, Church Street DE4 3BW, Church of England
The parish was in the Matlock sub-district of the Bakewell Registration District.
"MATLOCK is a village and parish, in the hundred of Wirksworth; 144 miles from London, 42 S.S.E. from Manchester, 34 N.W. from Nottingham, 18 N.W. by N. from Derby, 14 N.N.E. from Ashbourn, and rather more than 3 N. from Wirksworth. The village is most delightfully situate, partly in a valley, and partly on the side of a hill, on the eastern banks of the river Derwent, and at a short distance from the main road. It is chiefly built of stone, and at its entrance is a neat stone bridge; at some distance from which, on the verge of a most romantic rock, and upon a precipice almost perpendicular, stands the church, dedicated to St. Giles, shrouded amidst trees whose luxuriant foliage spreads over the face of the grey rock."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish sits on the south-eastern edge of the Peak District, just off the A6 trunk road and includes the hamlet of Riber.
During the Second World War, Rockside Hall was used as an RAF psychiatric hospital, where mentally scarred service personnel (mostly aircrew) were rehabilitated. It was somewhat unkindly known as "Hatters Castle" by locals.
David BEVIS has a photograph of Rockside Hall on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2007.
The Ernest Bailey Grammar School in Matlock was established in 1924. In the few years prior to that, pupils from the Matlock area were known to have attended the Lady Manners School, in Bakewell, following its reopening in 1896. The first Headmaster of Ernest Bailey's, E. H. CHAPMAN, had been a pupil himself at Lady Manners.