MATLOCK, Derbyshire

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2542
1891 R.G. 12 / 2775 & 2776
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"MATLOCK is a village and parish, in the hundred of Wirksworth; 144 miles from London, 42 S.S.E. from Manchester, 34 N.W. from Nottingham, 18 N.W. by N. from Derby, 14 N.N.E. from Ashbourn, and rather more than 3 N. from Wirksworth. The village is most delightfully situate, partly in a valley, and partly on the side of a hill, on the eastern banks of the river Derwent, and at a short distance from the main road. It is chiefly built of stone, and at its entrance is a neat stone bridge; at some distance from which, on the verge of a most romantic rock, and upon a precipice almost perpendicular, stands the church, dedicated to St. Giles, shrouded amidst trees whose luxuriant foliage spreads over the face of the grey rock."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish sits on the south-eastern edge of the Peak District, just off the A6 trunk road and includes the hamlet of Riber.

The Matlock Golf Club in Matlock Bank was established in 1907.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Military History

In 1895 there was one Volunteer Force in Matlock:

  1. K Company, 2nd Volunteer Battalion Sherwood Foresters at Matlock Bridge, Major J. R. DUDLEY, commanding; Rev. Charles M. LEACROFT, acting chaplain.

In 1912 there were two Territorial Forces in Matlock:

  1. B Squadron, Derbyshire Yeomanry, Major H. P. GRETTON commanding; Sergt.-Major A. W. TUBB, drill instructor.

  2. E Company, 6th Battalion Sherwood Foresters, Lieut. W. E. V. TOMPKINS commanding; Sergt.-Instructor John TURNER.

There are also these:

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Matlock/index.html