MELLOR, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2554 & 2555
1891 R.G. 12 / 2787
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"MELLOR, a chapelry in the parish of Glossop, in the High Peak hundred, is two miles from Marple, six and a half from Glossop, eight from Chapel-en-le-Frith, seven from Stockport, and 14 from Manchester. The church, dedicated to St. James [Ed: this is incorrect - it is St. Thomas], which is of stone, is erected on a commanding situation, a short distance from the village: the Rev. Matthew Freeman enjoys the curacy for life: the gift of the living is in the Thornton family."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Mellor is 173 miles north of the city of London, seperated from Cheshire by the River Goyt. Lucworth, Marple Bridge and Compstall Road are in this parish. Comstall Bridge is part of Cheshire.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Mellor/index.html