"MICKLEOVER, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 3 miles S.W. of Derby, its post town. The parish includes the chapelries of Littleover and Findern, at which places are chapels-of-ease."
The parish was home to the County lunatic asylum which stood on an estate of 79 acres less than a mile southwest of the village. This area of the parish was called "The Pastures". The asylum was built in 1851 and expanded in 1862.
The asylum eventually became "Pastures Hospital".
The web page author does not know what records exist for this institution.
The village is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as being owned by Burton Abbey and was recorded under the name of "Magna Oufra". The Old English form would have been "Micel Ofer", meaning "flat-topped ridge"