MIDDLETON-WITH-SMERRIL, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"MIDDLETON-WITH-SMERRIL, a township in the parish of Youlgreave, hundred of Wirksworth, county Derby, 1½ mile S.W. of Youlgreave, and 3 miles S.W. of Bakewell. In the neighbourhood is a Druidical circle called "Arborlowe's ring", and several barrows, in which Celtic antiquities have been found. Also the manor of the late Thomas Bateman, Esq., who formed a museum for the antiquities of the county. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the lead mines now in operation near the village. The land is partly in common. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans." "SMERRILL, a township in the parish of Youlgreave, hundred of Wirksworth, county Derby, 4 miles S.W. of Bakewell. It is joined to Middleton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]