Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
Open a form to report problems or contribute information
MONYASH, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MONYASH, a township and chapelry in the parish of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, county Derby, four miles S.W. of Bakewell, its post town, and 7 W. of the Rowsley station. The village, which is small, is situated in a hollow near the source of the river Lathkill, and near the High Peak railway. It was formerly a market town, and is mentioned in Domesday Survey as being a place of penal settlement for ill-behaved monks.
A court is held every six months for settling disputes relative to the lead mines in the hundred of High Peak. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture and in the lead mines. The land is chiefly arable, except about 100 acres of uncultivated waste. There are some marble quarries, at Rucklow-Dales, much admired for its variegated surface, which is of a greyish colour. The substratum is chiefly limestone and marble.
The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Bakewell. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient edifice with a square spired tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £31 per annum, of which £20 go to the free school. There is a place of worship for the Primitive Methodists, and a meeting-house for the Society of Friends. R. H. Cheney, Esq., of Shiffnall, Salop, is lord of the manor."