Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire
(Magna Britannia Vol. 5)
Monyash - by Daniel and Samuel Lysons, 1817
[Included with Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5: Derbyshire, page 23-41: BAKEWELL; page 40-41]
MONYASH: (The Manies of the Domesday Survey) lies about four miles from Bakewell. Robert de Salocia and Matthew de Eston appear to have been Lords of Moniash about the year 1200. William de Lynford, described as the King's valet, both in Scotland and in parts beyond the sea, obtained, in 1340, a grant of market on Tuesday, and a fair for three days at the festival of the Holy Trinity, in his manor of Moniash. The manor belonged, at a later period, to the Earls of Shrewsbury. John Earl of Shrewsbury died seised of it in 1460. On the death of Earl Gilbert in 1616, his great estates in Derbyshire descended to his three daughters and co-heiresses, Mary, wife of William Earl of Pembroke, Elizabeth, wife of Henry Earl of Kent, and Alathea, wife of Thomas Earl of Arundel. In the year 1640, Philip Earl of Pembroke, being possessed of two of these shares, sold them to John Shallcross, Esq.,who, in 1646, resold them to Thomas Gladwin of Tupton-hall. The grand-daughters and co-heiresses of Gladwin, brought this estate in moieties to Sir Talbot Clerke and Dr. Henry Bourne. In 1721, the Clerkes sold one third of this manor and Dr. Bourne in 1736 another third to Edward Cheney, Esq. In 1735, Mr. Cheney had purchased the remaining third of John Gilbert, Esq., of Locko. Mr. Gilbert possessed it by devise from the Savilles, who had purchased it in 1638 of Henry Earl of Kent. The manor of Monyash is now the property of Robert Cheney, Esq., a Major-General in His Majesty's service. In the chapelry at Monyash, are memorials of Thomas Cheney, Esq., of Ashford, 1723, (father of Edward Cheney, Esq., before mentioned) and the families of Sheldon and Palfreyman. Monyash chapel was originally founded as a chantry-chapel, about the year 1200, by Robert de Salocia and Matthew de Eston, who endowed it with land for the celebration of divine service on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. In the year 1280, Archbishop Peckham ordained, that in addition to the lands given by the inhabitants at the foundation of the chapel, they should add one mark, and that the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield should pay the remainder. The chantry Roll of I Edward VI, mentions a chantry founded at Monyash by Nicholas Congson and John his brother, then valued at 3£.6s.8d. per annum. The minister of Monyash is appointed by the vicar of Bakewell. There is a Quakers meeting at Monyash. In the year 1779, at the time of the enclosure, twelve acres of common, now let at about 17 £ per annum, were given by Messrs. Melland, Goodwin, Newton, and Holmes, freeholders of Monyash, for the purpose of educating 12 poor children. A house and garden were given also by the freeholders for the master.Return to top of page [From Lysons Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817.
Transcription kindly donated by Barbarann AYARS, 10th Jan 2001]