NEW BRAMPTON, Derbyshire
- The parish was in the Chesterfield Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2532|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2764 thru 2766|
- St Thomas's Church, New Brampton was built in 1832, and stands beside
the main A619 road approaching Chesterfield from the Baslow direction. See also
- David BEVIS has a photograph of St. Thomas' church tower on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2012.
- We have a pop-up window of
Parish Register burials in a text file for your review. Your additions are welcomed.
- And Rosemary LOCKIE has some
Memorial Inscriptions from St. Thomas churchyard.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Chesterfield.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Chesterfield sub-district of the Chesterfield Registration District.
"BRAMPTON... A new church has been erected in the eastern part of the parish, called New Brampton, and is dedicated to St. Thomas; it contains 700 sittings, of which half are free."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
Today, New Brampton is considered a suburb of Chesterfield.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the New Brampton entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the New Brampton entry from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895.
- The ancient parish of Brampton was divided in 1832 into the area centred on the old parish church of St Peter and St Paul, now more commonly known as Old Brampton, and New Brampton, served by St Thomas's church, newly consecrated that year. Today, paradoxically, New Brampton, probably as a consequence of being closer to the centre of Chesterfield, having a larger population, and consequently in the forefront of more people's consciousness is known colloquially as simply 'Brampton'.
- This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Chesterfield petty session hearings every Saturday.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became a member of the Chesterfield Poorlaw Union.