NEW MILLS, Derbyshire

Archives and Libraries

Andrew CARNEGIE funded the Public Free LIbrary built in Hull Street in 1909.

By 1912 the library held 7,456 volumes.

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2554 & 2555
1891 R.G. 12 / 2787
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"NEW MILLS, an extensive hamlet, in the parish of Glossop, and in the High Peak hundred, is 14 miles from Manchester, 6 from Chapel-en-le-Frith, and 8 from Stockport. It is pleasantly situate on the borders of Derbyshire and Cheshire; and, within a comparatively few years, has risen to importance in the manufacturing district; cotton spinning being carried on here to a considerable extent, affording employment to numerous hands."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish includes the hamlets of Beard, Ollerset, Thornset and Whistle.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/NewMills/index.html