"NORMANTON, a parish in the hundred of Repton, county Derby, 2 miles S. of Derby, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Birmingham railway, and is chiefly agricultural. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in framework knitting. The Derby canal crosses the N.E. part of the parish, and the Birmingham and Derby Junction railway intersects it."
The Regimental District No. 45, depot of the Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regiment), had its barracks here on 14 acres of ground. The barracks were built in 1878.
In 1891 the Commanding Officer was Col. H. H. HOOKE. Colonel HOOKE was born in Ireland circa 1842 and married his wife Lucy, also Irish-born, around 1880. Colonel HOOKE had served in the Abyssinian Camapign in 1868. In 1890, the London Gazette tells us he was promoted from Lieutenant-Colonel to full Colonel.