BRAMPTON, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BRAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, in the county of Derby, 3 miles to the W. of Chesterfield, its post town, and 160 from London. It is situated on the Chesterfield and Gainsborough canal, and contains the hamlet of Cutthorpe. Coal and ironstone are abundant here, and there are some extensive iron-works in the neighbourhood. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the manufacture of pottery, fire-bricks, tobacco-pipes, &c. There are also factories for the manufacture of india-rubber, needles, cotton-wicks, and lint. The church dedicated to St. Peter is a Plain building, with a square tower, and contains several ancient family monuments. A new church has been erected in the eastern part of the parish, called New Brampton, and is dedicated to St. Thomas; it contains 700 sittings, of which half are free. The livings of both are perpetual curacies* severally worth £150, and in the patronage of the bishop. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. There are a National school and a small endowed school with an income of £11 a year. The parochial charities produces altogether about £85 per annum. Brampton Hall is one of the principal mansions. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor." "CUTTHORPE, a township in the parish of Brampton, hundred of Scarsdale, in the county of Derby, 3 miles N. of Chesterfield."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]