"The church of St. James, now used only for occasional services, is an ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and an eastern turret containing one bell, and is the successor of a church or chantry of Norman origin existing here in 1127. It is chiefly Early English in style, but some portions of the Norman church still remain: the east window of Late Perpendicular date, with a trefoil light above it, one window on the north- and one on the south side of the chancel and two on the north side of the nave, are stained. In the chancel is a carved tablet of alabaster, inscribed in Latin to Sir Nicholas Wilmot kt. ob. 1682, besides several others of later dates, to the same family. There is also a mural monument of marble to the Eastwood family, with dates from 1846 to 1874. The pulpit is of stone, finely carved: the church plate includes an Elisabethan chalice, a paten of Queen Anne's time and a pewter flagon of 1629. The church was restored in 1880-1, at a cost of £644, and has 120 sittings." [Extract from Kelly's Directory of the County of Derby, 1912]
The church seats 120.
"The church of St. Osmund, in London road, erected in 1905 at a cost of £5,940, was constituted the parish church of Osmaston by Order in Council, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, side chapel, south and west porches and organ loft. There is a wrought iron chancel screen, above which is a rood beam. The church affords 540 sittings. The register dates from the vear 1743. The living is a Vicarage, net yearly value £110, including 62 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1902 by the Rev. Launcelot Sydney Currey M.A. of Selwyn College, Cambridge." [Extract from Kelly's Directory of the County of Derby, 1912]
Note: it appears that the dedication of the Church to All Saints was changed to St James some time between Kelly's Directories of 1895, and 1912, so possibly at the time St Osmund's Church, at Wilmorton was built (1905).
"OSMASTON, a parish in the hundred of Repton, county Derby, 2 miles S.E. of Derby, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road from London to Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The river Derwent, the canal, and the Midland railway pass through the parish. The inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. The soil is sand and loam upon a subsoil of gravel."
Kelly's Directory of 1912 says: OSMASTON (near Derby) was formerly a civil parish, but under the provisions of the "Derby Corporation Act, 1901", which took effect 9th Nov. in that year, the most populous part was added to the civil parish and county borough of Derby, the remainder, by Local Government Board Order, No. 43,684, dated April 1st, 1902, being amalgamated with Sinfin Moor. Added 16 Dec 2010.
You can see the administrative areas in which Osmaston has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.