The first chapel at Peak Forest was built towards the end of the Civil War, by Christiana, Dowager Countess of Devonshire, a loyal supporter of the Crown - although it wasn't dedicated until after the end of the War. Christiana's own son, Charles, also died during the War, in 1643, fighting for the Royalist cause.
The present church was built in 1876 adjacent to the old church site.
The Anglican parish church is dedicated to King Charles the Martyr.
The church seats 240.
The chaple had a reputation for disregarding the Marriage Act and people came from all over to get married, many of them underage.
"PEAK FOREST is all extra parochial liberty, in the hundred of High Peak, about three miles and a half north-west from Tideswell. This district is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas, held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s. The chapel here is dedicated to King Charles the Martyr: the living is a perpetual curacy in the peculiar jurisdiction of the dean and chapter of Lichfield, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. A free school here has a small endowment, for the education of ten poor children. The liberty contained, in 1831, 573 inhabitants, being fewer by thirty-four than were returned for it thirty years previous; and a reduction in the population of 107 persons since the census of 1821."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The nearly 5,300 acres of the parish have been mostly pasturage.
You can see pictures of Peak Forest which are provided by: