PEAK FOREST (ex. par.), Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2548
1891 R.G. 12 / 2781
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"PEAK FOREST is all extra parochial liberty, in the hundred of High Peak, about three miles and a half north-west from Tideswell. This district is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas, held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s. The chapel here is dedicated to King Charles the Martyr: the living is a perpetual curacy in the peculiar jurisdiction of the dean and chapter of Lichfield, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. A free school here has a small endowment, for the education of ten poor children. The liberty contained, in 1831, 573 inhabitants, being fewer by thirty-four than were returned for it thirty years previous; and a reduction in the population of 107 persons since the census of 1821."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The nearly 5,300 acres of the parish have been mostly pasturage.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1801 607
1841 575
1851 596
1881 499
1891 502
Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/PeakForest/index.html