Extract from Pigot's Commercial Directory of Derbyshire 1828-9
BARLBOROUGH, a small parish in a village of the same name, in the hundred of Scarsdale, is eight miles north-east from Chesterfield, and about three miles from the village of Whitwell. Nothing calculated to arrest the attention of the tourist, or the man of business, is connected with this village. The hall of Barlborough, about a mile hence, is pleasantly situated.
The church is a rectory, dedicated to St James, and in the incumbancy of the Rev. C. H. R. Rhodes, who is joint lord of the manor with S. C. Pole, esq., but no court has been held here these forty years. Here is a free school for the instruction of poor children, to which the present rector of St James' bestows £20. annually. The whole parish contained, in 1821, only about 700 inhabitants.
ECKINGTON is also a parish in the same hundred, but much more extensive and populous; the lands of which are chiefly appropriated to agriculture. in the village, six miles north-east of Chesterfield, is the parish church. The whole parish contains about 3,600 inhabitants, of which number about 1,000 are in the township.
CLOWN, a village and parish in the same hundred as Barlborough, is 3 miles from that town and the like distance from Bolsover, in which manor it lies. The church is a rectory, in the gift of the crown, and in the incumbancy of the Rev. Joseph Wilton Pawsey. Here are chapels for the Wesleyan methodists and Calvinists, and a free school for twenty-four boys and girls, endowed in 1730. In the neighbourhood coals and lime stone are obtained, and there is a small manufactory for sail cloth, but the inhabitants are chiefly in agricultural employment. The number in the parish is about 600.
WHITWELL is a village and parish, in the same hundred as Eckington, and having no other dependent township. The village is situated at the north east extremity of the county, and is twelve miles from Chesterfield. The Duke of Portland is the lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St Lawrence, is a rectory in the patronage of that nobleman, and in the incumbancy of the Rev. George King. Here is a school, founded by the Dutchess of Portland, in which seventy girls are taught sewing, reading, writing and arithmetic. In 1821, about 900 inhabitants composed the population of the parish.Return to top of page
[From Pigot's Commercial Directory of Derbyshire 1828-9.
This page was created by Heather Faulkes on 18th March 1999, and is reproduced on GENUKI with permission]