Extract from Pigot's Commercial Directory of Derbyshire 1828-9 Descriptions transcribed by Heather Faulkes © 1999
DUFFIELD, an extensive parish, in the hundred of Appletree, contains a small village, about four miles from Derby and three from Belper; it is plesantly situated on the banks of the Derwent, and contains a number of good houses, with a church, which is a short distance from the village; and a free grammar school.
On a rising ground, at the north-west end of the village, was formerly a castle, which, in the fourteenth century, belonged to the earls of Derby. The entire parish of Duffield contained, in 1821, nearly 14,000 inhabitants, of which number about 2,700 were in Duffield township.
LITTLE EATON is a neat village, about three miles from Derby and one from Duffield; it contains a small but handsome church. Bleaching grounds of Messrs. Smith & Son, and an extensive paper manufactory of Messrs. Tempest & Son are in the vicinity of the village. The royal mail from Manchester to Derby passes through here, but does not leave or take letters; the post town is Derby.
BREADSALL, a scattered village, about two miles and a quarter from Derby and eleven from Alfreton, contains a church, which is an ancient building, dedicated to All Saints; it is situated on an eminence, and has a needle spire, which forms a prominent object at a distance. The old hall, formerly the residence of the Harper family, is now converted into a public house, and has been in the possession of the present occupier and his ancestors upwards of two hundred years; here are preserved several articles of antiquity, among which is a brown earthenware wassail cup, with the figures 1715.
MAKENEY is a small village, in a thinly populated parish, in the hundred of Appletree, about five miles from Derby and three and a half from Belper.
[From Pigot's Commercial Directory of Derbyshire 1828-9.
This page was created by Heather Faulkes on 18th March 1999, and is reproduced on GENUKI with permission]