Extract from Pigot's Commercial Directory of Derbyshire 1828-9
SHARDLOW, a village, in the parish of Wilne and Shardlow, and in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, is seven miles south-east from Derby, situated upon the banks of the river Trent, over which is a good stone bridge, forming the communication with Leicestershire; it was built by the Cavendish family, from which it takes its name.
This place derives considerable importance from being a station for the trans-shipment of goods upon the Trent and Mersey canal. At Wilne mills is manufactured a particular sort of yarn, known by the name of "Wilne yarn", for which there is generally a considerable demand: at this place is a large poor house. Warehouses are erected upon the banks of the canal, and in the town are several malting concerns and a good brewery. In 1821 the parish contained about 1,000 inhabitants, but the population has augmented since that census.
ASTON-UPON-TRENT is a parish and village, in the same hundred as Shardlow, two miles from that place, and about six and a half from Derby. The hall of Aston, a substantial mansion, the seat of Edward Anthony Holden, Esq. is in the village. The parish contains about 550 inhabitants.
WESTON-UPON-TRENT is a small parish and village, two miles from Aston. One mile hence is Dunnington park, the seat of the late Marquis of Hastings.
WILLINGTON, about five miles north-east of Burton-upon-Trent, is a small parish and village, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, with a population of about 400.Return to top of page
[From Pigot's Commercial Directory of Derbyshire 1828-9.
This page was created by Heather Faulkes on 18th March 1999, and is reproduced on GENUKI with permission]