QUARNDON, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"QUARNDON, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 3 miles N.W. of Derby, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. There are a chalybeate spring and sulphur baths near the village. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £110. The church has a turreted tower containing two bells. It was erected in 1790 on a site presented by Lord Scarsdale. The parochial charities produce about £35 per annum, of which £20 goes to Curzon's free school, which educates 20 poor children of the parishes of Kedleston, Quarndon, Weston, and Ravensdale Park. There are also two schools founded by William Evans. In the village are several lodging-houses for the accommodation of visitors to the baths."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]