We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.



  • Riddings Cemetery is at Lea Brooks in the village of Somercotes.


  • The parish was in the Alfreton sub-district of the Belper Registration District.

  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:

Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2511 thru 2516
1871 R.G. 10 / 2370
1891 R.G. 12 / 2749


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Riddings area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint James.

  • The church was built in 1832 to replace a former Chapel of Ease.

  • Riddings was established as an ecclesiastical parish the year the church was built.

  • The church was restored in 1885.

  • The church tower and spire were restored in 1912.

  • The church seats 700.

  • Michael BARDILL has a photograph of St James Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2006.

  • A Church of England Mission Room was opened at Pye Bridge in 1887.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from January, 1840.

  • The Anglican church was in the Alfreton Deanery.

  • The Baptists founded a chapel in 1806 and enlarged their chapel in 1833.

  • The Independents built a chapel in 1821 and enlarged it in 1839.

  • The Wesleyan Methodists rebuilt their chapel in 1838 so that it could seat 400 people. It was renovated in 1894-95.

  • The Primitive Methodists had a chapel here prior to 1872.

  • A United Methodist chapel was built in Greenhill Lane in 1876.

  • A Brethren's meeting house (quaker) was built in Greenhill Lane in 1880.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

  • The parish was in the Alfreton sub-district of the Belper Registration District.

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Riddings which are provided by:
"RIDDINGS is a chapelry, in the parish of Alfreton, about 3 miles S. from that town. The new line of road from Manchester to Nottingham, and a branch of the Cromford canal, connected with Mansfield by a rail-road passes through this place. In the immediate neighbourhood are extensive iron-works, employing many of the inhabitants, of whom some are also employed in the adjacent mines, forges &c. at Codnor Park."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Pye Bridge is a hamlet 3 miles south-east from Alfreton which is associated with this village.

Greenhill Lane is a hamlet 2 miles south of Alfreton which is associated with this village.



Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Riddings has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
  • Ironville was built in the early to mid 1800's as a "Model Village" (i.e. laid out symmetrically), by the owners of The Butterley Iron Company for their employees. The village lies between Riddings and Codnor Park and is on the Notts border. There were once three bustling canals - Cromford, Erewash and Pinxton, but now sadly all defunct.

  • A Mechanics Institute was built in the early 1840's, interestingly, before the Church and School. The Mechanics in those days were artisans and craftsmen (not motor vehicle repairers... - Ed), and the Institutes were, we think, for providing for the 'extra curricula' needs of the parish's skilled workers or tradesmen. [Information provided by Janet KIRK]


  • The Alfreton Iron Works were established here in 1801 and employed about 4,000 people.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK429528 (Lat/Lon: 53.070702, -1.361170), Riddings which are provided by:

Military History

  • Hugh McKENNA also has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2005.

  • There is a photograph of the War Memorial dedication on Picture the Past, taken in 1919.

Military Records

The names on the War Memorial for 1939-1945 are:

  • J. J. BALL
  • D. A. CLARK
  • L. COPE
  • W. H. DUROE
  • C. GIBBS
  • F. W. JONES
  • C. LEWIS
  • R. OGDEN
  • D. PASS

St. James churchyard holds two Commonwealth War Graves from World War II:

  1. Albert HIBBITT, srgt., RAF vol. rsrv., age 21, died 25 Jan. 1942.
  2. Francis Edwin WILSON, priv., Army Ordnance Corps, age 36, died 12 Feb. 1941, from Lincolnshire.

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry in Alfreton parish in Derbyshire and was NOT established as a modern Civil Parish.

  • This parish was partly in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).

  • District governance is provided by the Amber Valley Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Alfreton petty session hearings.

  • As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became a member of the Belper Poorlaw Union.