RIPLEY, Derbyshire

Note: There are several places named "Ripley" in the UK. Make sure you are researching the correct one!

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2511 thru 2513
1891 R.G. 12 / 2476 & 2745
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"RIPLEY is a township, in the parish of Pentrich, nearly 8 miles S.S.E. from Wirksworth, 5 N.E. from Belper, and nearly 4 S. by W. from Alfreton. Ripley was formerly a market town of some consequence, chartered about the reign of Henry III. The principal buildings of the place form a large quadrangle, consisting of several good shops and well built houses. The iron and coal works in the neighbourhood give employment to a considerable portion of the inhabitants."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Ripley is 10 miles north of Derby city and the parish covers 2,161 acres.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Ripley/index.html