- Taylor, Keith - Baslow, Rowsley, Edensor, Pilsley, Beeley.
Ashridge Press/Country Books, 2008. ISBN 978-1-906789-06-0.
- Waite, Glynn - Rowsley Railway Miscellany - 2. Pynot Publishing, 2008.
ISBN 978-0-9552251-9-2. Added 25 Oct 2008.
- Waite, Glynn - Rowsley Miscellany. Pynot Publishing, 2006.
- Waite, Glynn & Knighton, Laurence - Rowsley: A Rural Railway Centre. The Midland Railway Society, 2004. ISBN 0-9537486-2-6
- The parish was in the Matlock sub-district of the Bakewell Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2540|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2774 & 2775|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Catherine.
- The church was built in 1855.
- The church seats 200.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1855.
- We have a pop-up window of
Parish register burials partially extracted into a text file for your review. Your additions are welcomed.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Bakewell.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Matlock sub-district of the Bakewell Bakewell Registration District.
"ROWSLEY (Great) township and village, situated at the confluence of the river Wye with the Derwent, 3¼ miles E.S.E. from Bakewell. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, is situated on a slight elevation, about the centre of the village, and is a handsome stone edifice in the Norman style of architecture, with turret and one bell; the Rev. John Jones, B.A., incumbent. Here is a good day school."
[Description from Harrison, Harrop & Co.'s Directory & Gazetteer of Derbyshire, 1860]
The parish is also profiled at Derbyshire UK.
- Ann Andrews provides a transcription of the Great Rowsley entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Great Rowsley from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- There are photographs and some history of Rowsley at the Derby Photos website.
- This place was an ancient township in Bakewell parish in Derbyshire and became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient High Peak Hundred (or Wapentake).
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bakewell petty session hearings.
- As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a member of the Bakewell Poorlaw Union.