"SCARCLIFFE is a parish and village, in the same hundred as Bolsover, about 2 miles S.S.E. from that town. The Earl of Bathurst is lord of the manor; and the patronage of the church living, which is a vicarage, is possessed by the Duke of Devonshire. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard, and contains an interesting monument, of the 11th century. Population of the parish, according to the census taken in 1831, 524."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish lies 135 miles north of London and covers almost 4,000 acres which includes the hamlets of Palterton and Hillstown. The river Poulter rises in the southern part of this parish. The village has its own website with photographs.
The nearby hamlet of Palterton has its history listed at Bygone Times.
You can see pictures of Scarcliffe which are provided by:
The name Scarcliffe is from the Old English Scaerd and Scandinavian clif, or "Cliff or steep slope with a gap". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Scardeclif. [A. D. MILLS, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].