Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
Open a form to report problems or contribute information
SCARCLIFF, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"SCARCLIFF, (or Scarcliffe) a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 6 miles N.W. of Mansfield, its post town, and 8 S.E. of Chesterfield. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Poulter. The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. In the vicinity is a spring designated Owlsditch.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield, value £68. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, has a square tower containing four bells. The interior of the church contains a monument to the Fretcheville family of the 11th century. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum. Earl Bathurst is lord of the manor."