SCARCLIFFE, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2148
1861 R.G. 9 / 2424
1891 R.G. 12 / 2649
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"SCARCLIFFE is a parish and village, in the same hundred as Bolsover, about 2 miles S.S.E. from that town. The Earl of Bathurst is lord of the manor; and the patronage of the church living, which is a vicarage, is possessed by the Duke of Devonshire. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard, and contains an interesting monument, of the 11th century. Population of the parish, according to the census taken in 1831, 524."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish lies 135 miles north of London and covers almost 4,000 acres which includes the hamlets of Palterton and Hillstown. The river Poulter rises in the southern part of this parish. The village has its own website with photographs.

The nearby hamlet of Palterton has its history listed at Bygone Times.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

For a photograph of the Scarcliffe War Memorial and a list of the names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.

Palterton has its own War Memorial Plaque.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Scarcliffe/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.