"SHARDLOW is a village, in the parish of Wiln and Shardlow, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, seven miles S.E. from Derby; situate upon the banks of the river Trent, over which is a good stone bridge, forming the communication with Leicestershire; it was built by the Cavendish family, from which it takes its name. This place derives considerable importance from being a station for the trans-shipment of goods upon the Trent and Mersey canal, on the banks of which are erected warehouses. At Wiln mills is manufactured a particular sort of cotton yarn, known by the name of 'Wiln yarn', for which there is generally a considerable demand: at this place is a large poor-house. In 1821 the parish contained 993 inhabitatants, and in 1831, 1,091."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Current Shardlow information is at the Derbyshire villages website.