SHARDLOW, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2490
1891 R.G. 12 / 2721 & 2722
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"SHARDLOW is a village, in the parish of Wiln and Shardlow, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, seven miles S.E. from Derby; situate upon the banks of the river Trent, over which is a good stone bridge, forming the communication with Leicestershire; it was built by the Cavendish family, from which it takes its name. This place derives considerable importance from being a station for the trans-shipment of goods upon the Trent and Mersey canal, on the banks of which are erected warehouses. At Wiln mills is manufactured a particular sort of cotton yarn, known by the name of 'Wiln yarn', for which there is generally a considerable demand: at this place is a large poor-house. In 1821 the parish contained 993 inhabitatants, and in 1831, 1,091."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Current Shardlow information is at the Derbyshire villages website.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Shardlow/index.html