"SHELDON, a chapelry in the parish of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, county Derby, 3 miles W. of Bakewell, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Wye, and is chiefly agricultural. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the lead mines. The impropriate tithes belong to the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, and to the Duke of Devonshire."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
The parish covers 1,070 acres.