"SHIRLAND, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 2 miles N.W. of Alfreton, its post town, and about the same distance from the Stretton station on the Midland railway. Shirland was formerly a market town, and is still a considerable village. The parish includes the hamlets of Hallfield and Higham. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in framework knitting, but the greater number in agriculture. The parish is watered by the river Amber, which flows through it.
About a third of the land is arable, and the remainder pasture and woodland. The soil is clayey, and the substratum contains seams of coal. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £175, and the glebe comprises 60 acres. There is also a rent-charge of £19, payable to the Rector of Morton. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £215.
The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, was built in the 14th century, and was thoroughly restored in 1848. The interior contains effigies of the De Greys, also a monument to the Revell family bearing date 1510. The parochial charities produce about £25 per annum. There is a National also a free school for both sexes, at Hatfield-gate, endowed by Edward Revell with about £25 per annum. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Gladwin Turbell, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"HIGHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Shirland, hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 3 miles N.W. of Alfreton, 7½ from Chesterfield, and 1½ mile from Stretton railway station. It is a large ancient village, situated on the Roman Icknield Street, and was formerly a market town, but has considerably decreased of late. Many of the inhabitants are employed in stocking weaving and in the adjoining bleach-grounds. There is an old cross in the centre of the market-place. The Wesleyans have a chapel with an infant school attached. A fair is held on the first Wednesday after New-Year's Day."