"SHIRLEY, with the townships of STYDD and YEAVELEY, forming a parish, in the same hundred as Brailsford, is about 3 miles W. from that village, 9 N.W. from Derby, and 5 S. by E. from Ashbourn. The habitations are so scattered over the parish, that the features of a village are not to be recognised. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a small building, with a tower of wood. Shirley park, in this parish, occupies upwards of two hundred acres, and at one time was a noted cover for foxes. Part of the old manor house of the Shirleys, who settled here in the reign of Henry II, still exists attached to a farm house. The parish contained, at the last census, 602 inhabitants."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]