SMALLEY, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SMALLEY, a chapelry in the parish of Morley, hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 6 miles N.E. of Derby, its post town, and 4 N.W. of Ilkeston railway station. The village is considerable, and chiefly modern. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the extensive collieries, and in lace making. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Morley, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The parochial charities consist of about £40 per annum, realised from land bequeathed by S. Richardson in 1711, and about £10 from other sources. There is an endowed school for boys, and a National school for girls. The Baptists have a place of worship. The manor house is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]