SNELSTON a township, parish, and village, pleasantly situated 14 miles W by N from Derby and three miles S.W. from Ashbourn contains 2,072A 1r 1p of rich land, mostly pasture; rateable value £3,112. In 1851, it had 81 houses and 389 inhabitants of whom 201 were males and 188 females. The North Staffordshire railway runs through the parish and occupies 9A 3r 2p of land. John Harrison Esq is the principal owner and lord of the manor. Lord Scarsdale, Thomas Fitzherbert, Esq., J. G. Copestake. Esq., and the Hon. and Rev. Augustus Duncombe, have also estates here. Many of the farm houses have been lately rebuilt, some of which are extensive dairy farms. The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient Gothic structure, covered with luxuriant ivy. It has nave, chancel, side aisles, and handsome tower, with a clock and three bells, and the interior is neatly fitted up.