SNELSTON, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2520
1881 R.G. 11 / 3422
1891 R.G. 12 / 2752
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

"Once a parochial chapelry of Norbury, Snelston became a separate parish in 1871 although in keeping with parochial chapelries it has it's own registers from 1575. Unfortunately Snelston is one of those parishes where damage has occured to the registers, this time by floodwater. It may be worth checking Bishops Transcripts at Lichfield before looking at the originals at DRO."
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"SNELSTON, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 3½ miles S.W. of Ashbourne, its post town, and 3 from Norbury railway station. The village is situated on the river Dove. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the coal mines. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Norbury, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a square embattled tower. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There are some charities, also a free school, which is supported by J. Harrison, Esq., the lord of the manor. Snelston Hall is the principal residence."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

Colin PARK has a photograph of the Village Hall, Snelston, taken in September, 2012. Visitors should stop by and request a schedule of current events.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Snelston/index.html