CHANTRY, Joy - South Normanton in Stuart Times 1603-1714.
This book, with an index, is full of very useful information for anyone interested in the area of South Normanton. It includes chapters on everyday life, housing, occupations and a section on some local residents as well as many other names mentioned throughout the book.
The book is now sadly now out of print, with the last copy purchased as a result of a note on this page! Copies may however be available in libraries, or via Inter Library Loan (ILL).
[Information from The Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group Newsletter No. 16, April 2000]
Transcription by Carol RYAN of Marriages 1800-1836 at South Normanton sourced from both PRs and BTs.
Transcription by Carol RYAN of South Normanton Stray Marriages from the neighbouring parishes of Pinxton, Alfreton, Sutton in Ashfield and Mansfield, extracted from Phillimore, and Pinxton Parish Registers.
Transcription by Carol RYAN of Burials 1800-1840 at South Normanton sourced from both PRs and BTs.
The church was in the rural deanery of Alfreton.
The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists each had chapels here before 1891.
"SOUTH NORMANTON, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 2¼ miles E. of Alfreton, its post town, and 2 N.W. of the Pinxton railway station. The village, which is large, is situated on an eminence, and is chiefly agricultural. It formerly belonged to the Willoughbys and Revels, which latter family resided here from the time of the Conquest. The surface is elevated and the scenery diversified. The substratum abounds in coal, of which some mines have been opened. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £285."