SOUTH NORMANTON, Derbyshire

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2425
1891 R.G. 12 / 2650 & 2651
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"SOUTH NORMANTON, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 2¼ miles E. of Alfreton, its post town, and 2 N.W. of the Pinxton railway station. The village, which is large, is situated on an eminence, and is chiefly agricultural. It formerly belonged to the Willoughbys and Revels, which latter family resided here from the time of the Conquest. The surface is elevated and the scenery diversified. The substratum abounds in coal, of which some mines have been opened. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £285."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/SouthNormanton/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.