"STANTON-BY-BRIDGE, so named from an ancient bridge, which crosses the Trent here, and connects this parish with that of Swarkeston, is nearly 7 miles S.E. from Derby, and about two N.W. from Melbourn. The church, which is dedicated to St. Michael, is partly in the Norman and partly in the decorated style of architecture: the living is a rectory, in the patronage of Sir George Crewe. The population, at the census for 1831, was 215."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]