We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
STANTON AND NEWHALL, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"STANTON AND NEWHALL, a township in the parish of Stapenhill, hundred of Repton, county Derby, 3 miles S.E. of Burton-upon Trent, its post town, and 6 N.W. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the collieries; there are also earthenware and brick works. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £100, in the patronage of trustees. The church, dedicated to St. John, has a square tower. There is a National school for both sexes, also an infant school. The Wesleyans have a chapel."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]