STANTON & NEWHALL, Derbyshire
- The parish was in the Gesley sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 1963|
- Newhall is a separate ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1845.
- The Anglican parish church in Newhall is dedicated to Saint John.
- Saint John's Church was built in 1842 just off High Street.
- The church was in restored in 1884 and the chancel added.
- The church seats 500.
- The Anglican parish register of St. John's church dates from 1842 (one source gives 1833).
- The church was in the rural deanery of Repton.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel built here in 1816.
- The Wesleyan Reformers had a chapel built here in 1855.
- The Roman Catholic Church was built here in Overstreet road in 1886 and dedicated to Saint Edward the Confessor.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Gresley sub-district of the Burton upon Trent Registration District.
"STANTON and NEWHALL is a joint township, in the parish of Stapenhill, between 2 and 3 miles from Burton-upon-Trent. In that part of the township called Newhall, has been elected a handsome church and parsonage house, at the sole expense of the Rev. Joseph Clay, of Stapenhill; this munificent act, which has been effected at the cost of £7,000. has been the means of producing a reformation in the habits and morals of many of the inhabitants, which must be eminently gratifying to the benevolent pastor. The joint township contained at the last census, 1,182 inhabitants, but it is estimated the number since that period has much augmented, from the increasing importance of the potteries and collieries in this part of the parish."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Swadlincote is the closest town and there is regular bus service from Burton upon Trent and Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Repton parish lies to the north. Newhall township today is a suburb of Swandlincote.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Stanton and Newhall entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Stanton and Newhall from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- This place was two ancient townships in Stapenhill parish in Derbyshire. They became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient Repton and Gresley Hundred (or Wapentake).
- In April, 1934, this parish gained 14 acres from Bretby Civil Parish and 51 acres from Hartshorne Civil Parish.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Swadlincote petty seeesion hearings every other Tuesday.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act, this parish became a member of the Burton upon Trent Poorlaw Union.