STAPENHILL, Derbyshire

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 1963
1891 R.G. 12 / 2199
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"STAPENHILL is a parish, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley; the village being about 2 miles S.W. from Burton- upon-Trent. The parish, in which are coal mines, is bounded on the west by the river Trent. The church is dedicated to St. Peter: the living is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of the Marquess of Anglesey; the incumbent is the Rev. Henry Des Voeux, and his curate the Rev. Joseph Clay. A charity school has been erected by the last-named rev. gentleman, and is supported by his munificence, and that of the Miss Clays'. The parish contained, in 1831, 1,926 inhabitants, & the township 572 of that number."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Stapenhill had a ferry across the Trent River.

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Stapenhill/index.html