STONEY MIDDLETON, Derbyshire

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2543
1891 R.G. 12 / 2777
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"STONEY MIDDLETON is a chapelry, in the parish of Hathersage and hundred of High Peak, five miles E. from Tideswell, and four and a half N. from Bakewell. The houses forming the village are singular in their appearance, being scarcely distinguishable from the grey rocks which impend over them, and from which they appear to have been hewn. The church here is a small edifice, of octagonal form, remarkable for its neatness, erected principally at the expense of the Duke of Devonshire. It is dedicated to St. Mark: [Ed: No! St. Martin] the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Vicar of Hathersage; the present incumbent is the Rev. Edward Parker. The lime works in this neighbourhood employ many of the inhabitants. The chapelry contained, in 1821, 635 inhabitants, but at the last census (1831) the number returned was only 479."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Graham HOGG has a photograph of Stoney Middleton on Geo-graph, taken in 2010.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  Year  Inhabitants
1871 521
1881 354
1891 423
Return to top of page

Schools

The history of Stoney Middleton Village School dates from 1835, one of the earlier schools in the area, predating nearby Eyam and Grindleford Schools. The present building is situated part-way up the High Street, on the corner where it meets "The Dale Mouth". The School Motto:-

"Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."
"Blessed are they that hear the word of God and keep it."

is inscribed on stone tablets which date from the school's foundation. Over the years, the inscriptions have become eroded, but in the late 1980s the tablets were restored. On 23rd November 1990, a Double Celebration took place at the school to pay tribute to the retiring Head-Mistress (who had started teaching at the school in 1952), and to inaugurate the stone tablets after their restoration.

Mr. Thomas E. Cowen, who wrote a History of the Village of Stoney Middleton (1910) was an earlier headmaster of the school.

Stoney Middleton also had a "Dame School", kept by a Mistress Oldfield, but now - of course - closed. It seems likely this "village academy" would have been attended only by the children of "better-off" parents, who were able to afford to pay for their child's education.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/StoneyMiddleton/index.html