"SUTTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish and township in the hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 8 miles S.W. of Derby, its post town, and 5 N. of Tutbury railway station. The village is situated on a branch of the river Dove. The parish includes the township of Osleston and the small village of Ash. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield, value £225. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum, of which £12 go to a school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
Mike BARDILL has a photograph of the well-used Village Hall on Geo=graph, taken in June, 2006. Stop in and ask for a schedule of forth-coming events.
Ash is a small hamlet 1 miles outh of Sutton village. Long Lane is a Township in the parish which includes the hamlets of Osleston and Thurvaston.