Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
- The parish was in the Alfreton sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|Piece No. |
|1891 ||R.G. 12 / 2749 |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
- The church was built in 1859-60.
- The eclesiastical parish was established in 1861.
- The church seats 450.
- Mike BARDILL provides a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2006.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1861.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Alfreton.
- The Baptists had a chapel built here before 1868.
- David BEVIS provides a photograph of the Baptist Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2009.
- The Primitive Methodists had a chapel built here before 1891.
- David BEVIS also has a photograph of the Primitive Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2009.
- The Free Methodists had a chapel built here before 1891.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Alfreton sub-district of the Belper Registration District.br />
"SWANWICK is a hamlet, in the parish of Alfreton, about a mile and a half S.W. from that town. There are places of worship for baptists and Wesleyan methodists, and a free-school, erected and endowed in 1740 by Mrs. Elizabeth Turner. Population returned with the parish."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The name is pronounced "Swon-nick." The parish covers 965 acres.
You can see pictures of Swanwick which are provided by:
- In the 1800s, much of the parish was pasturage.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK404532 (Lat/Lon: 53.074492, -1.398431), Swanwick which are provided by:
- Swanwick Hayes, now a conference center, served as a prisoner of war camp for both German and Italian prisoners during World War II.
There are two Commonwealth War Graves for World War I and two for World War II in St. Andrew's churchyard:
- F. CHALLONER, priv., 4th Btn. Durham Light Inf., age 39, died 16 June 1918. Son of Matthew Ward and Mary CHALLONER.
- Albert WAGER, priv., 2nd Btn. Grenadier Guards, age 35, 24 Sept. 1916. Husband of Martha Elizabeth WAGER of Swanwick.
- Frederick TAYLOR, srgt., Pioneer Corps, age 45, died 25 Oct. 1942. Husband of Ethel TAYLOR of Somercoates.
- James WEBSTER, priv., 10th Btn. Sherwood Foresters, died 26 Sept. 1940.
- There is no evidence that this place was ever an ancient parish. It appers to have been only an ecclesiastical parish of the Anglican church. It became a modern Civil Parish some time in the 1900s.
- This place was partly in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).
- You may contact the Swanwick Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist with family history searches.
- District governance is provided by the Amber Valley Borough Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Alfreton petty session hearings.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became a member of the Belper Poorlaw Union.