SWANWICK, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SWANWICK, a hamlet in the parish of Alfreton, county Derby, 1; mile S.W. of Alfreton. This place is productive of coal, ironstone, and red clay. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the collieries, and some in frame-work knitting. The Grange and Swanwick Hall are the principal residences. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a chapel. A free school was founded in 1740 by Mrs. E. Turner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]