Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire
(Magna Britannia Vol. 5)
Taddington - by Daniel and Samuel Lysons, 1817
[Included with Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5: Derbyshire, page 23-41: BAKEWELL]
The chapel of Taddington lies about six miles from Bakewell. William de Hamelton died seised of a third part of the manor of Taddington in the year 1286. It is now considered as parcel of the King's manor of the High Peak on lease to the Duke of Devonshire. The minister of the chapel is apointed by the vicar of Bakewell. The Reverend Roger Wilkinson of Priestcliffe in this chapelry, in the year 1714, gave the sum of 400 pounds for a charity school, which having been laid out in land, is now let for about 80 pounds per annum. It was given for the education of all founders-kin in the chapelry of Taddington, or in the parishes of Bakewell or Tideswell; and for ten other children of the townships or hamlets of Priestcliffe, Taddington, Blackall, and Brushfield. In consequence of the trust not having been renewed the affairs of the charity are in chancery; and the master being a descendant of the founders, to whose kin a preference was given, enjoys the profits of the estate as a sinecure. Martha and Alice White, in 1804, gave 15 pounds per annum for teaching 12 poor children of this chapelry.Return to top of page [From Lysons Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817.
Transcription kindly donated by Barbarann AYARS, 22nd Aug 2001]